Wednesday 12 January 2011

old hollywood.

I must regretfully admit that until a few days ago I had never seen any of the the Hollywood classics, or even any black and white film. I always had perfectly good intentions, and even read Capote's 'Breakfast at Tiffany's', with the aim of following it up with the film of the same name, starring Audrey Hepburn. Yet,  for some reason I just never got round to it, and with the endless supply of new movies there didn't seem much need to revert to the classics. 

But when the French film I intended to see at the local artsy/foreign film cinema was sold out, I stumbled upon Casablanca, which was playing that evening, and so decided to grab the opportunity to watch my first old-timer!

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect but I think it can be summed up by saying it is not for no reason that Casablanca often appears in the Top Ten lists of movies of all time, and won three Academy Awards. Set during World War Two in the Vichy-controlled Moroccan controlled city of Casablanca, it tells the story of a man who faces a dilemma when he has to choose between rescuing the love of his life or helping her and her Czech resistance leader husband escape to the Americas. The film itself contains several elements ensuring it's success including its content and the tale of ill-fated, star-crossed lovers, the highest quality acting, classic one-liners , unexpected humour, and of course the old-school glamour and class, which meant everyone simply looks effortlessly stylish! Not one to miss!!

Below is the trailer...


 

 Enjoy!
X

No comments:

Post a Comment